Archived News February, 2013

RTI seminar

To assist our clients with the forthcoming introduction to Real Time Information (RTI) for PAYE, we will be having a seminar at the Boar's Head on Lammas Street on the 27th February 2013.

For those who would like to attend please contact the office on 01267 237534 or email:

Job Vacancies

From time to time we have opportunities for bright and enthusiastic individuals to work and train in our tax and accounts departments. If you feel you have the right qualities then forward your CV to:

We are currently looking for the following positions:

We are also especially interested in experienced payroll clerks to assist in our busy office in Carmarthen.

Please send your CV to Janet at the above email address.

LHP staff members pass exams

Recently several staff members passed their exams. Among them were Carina Evans who successfully passed some of her ACCA exams and Shona Humphreys passed some of her tax ATT exams - congratulations to them both.

In addition Janet Collins our practice manager successfully completed the 'Women in Leadership' course which was provided by Chware Teg.

At LHP we are committed to providing our staff with the best training opportunities and courses which not only increase their knowledge but benefit our clients.

Tax questions 20th February 2013

My father recently gave me his property, however he continues to live in it. As he is quite elderly I am worried that there may be inheritance tax (IHT) to pay on it after his day. Please can you advise me?

Firstly as your father is still using the property for his benefit, this is known as a gift with reservation. This means that for the transfer to be effective for IHT then you have two options; 1) to charge him a market rent or 2) elect of the property to be included in his estate on his death. Now, whilst I can’t answer the question fully, his IHT position would depend on whether or not his assets are more than £325,000. So, if the house is his main asset, then you may not have anything to worry about, but you may need to take further advice.

We received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs regarding our child benefit. Our joint income is just over £60,000 so does this mean we won’t be able to receive the child benefit?

From the start of January 2013 if the household income is over £60,000 then you are no longer entitled to receive your child benefit. You may still receive the child benefit, however you will need to complete a tax return in order to pay it back. Alternatively you can ask HMRC to stop making the payments to you. A helpful factsheet can be found online at



Recent News


Tax Questions


Archived News

Mailing List

Join our mailing list to receive our e-mail newsletter with industry news.

Join Mailing List
Engage with us on